PowerVCS Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refresh Status vs. Get Latest Version Performance  (Read 8076 times)
Phil Wallingford
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

When PowerBuilder populates the list of objects for a Get Latest Version it is querying the source control system (PowerVCS or anyone else) one object at a time.  When PB performs a Refresh Status it is querying source control in batches (25 at a time). As a consequence the Get Latest Version is 6-10 times slower.  The basic operation is the same, so I don’t know why both couldn’t perform the same way.  I have a call into my PB source control expert at Sybase and he should shed some light on this.

In the meantime I’ve seen that both operations place the results in a cache so that if you call Get Latest Version a second time, the response is immediate.  This suggests a workaround for now.  If you first Refresh Status, the results, produced relatively quickly, are placed in the cache and if you then call Get Latest, the list of objects appears immediately.

Regards,

Phil Wallingford
PowerVCS
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: